The Best Way To Keep Wasps Away From Your Edmond Yard
April 15, 2023 - Wasps
To successfully keep wasps away from your Edmond yard, you first need to learn about wasps. You should know how to identify them, why wasps hanging around your yard is a problem, and some naturally effective ways to prevent them from moving into your property. This guide teaches you all you need to know. It also tells you that the best way to keep wasps away is to partner with a professional Edmond pest control company like Summit Pest Solutions.
How To Identify A Wasp
It's easy to get confused when it comes to stinging insects like wasps, yellow jackets, cicada killers, and mud daubers. They're all different types of wasps in Edmond. Your Summit Pest Solutions service technician may tell you that you have a wasp problem when you thought you had a yellow jacket problem.
Here's how to identify these four common wasps in the Edmond area:
- Cicada killers are large, measuring up to 2 inches long. Their overall color is brown, but they may have red on their middle segments and yellow markings on their back segments. They have brown wings. Unless you're handling a cicada killer roughly, it's probably not going to sting you. These solitary wasps are not aggressive.
- Mud daubers are typically black, possibly with a metallic sheen or pale markings. They're ½ to 1 inch long and skinny – they have a long, slender segment between their thorax and abdomen, making them "thread waisted." Their wings are clear or dark. They form their nests from a series of mud tubes, and they're not aggressive.
- Paper wasps are the most common species of wasps to show up on your property. They're brown with yellow or red markings. They measure from ⅝ to ¾ inch long. They form their nests out of a paper-like substance, often in an umbrella shape. Paper wasps are only aggressive if their nest is threatened.
- Yellow jackets have alternating brown and yellow markings on their body. They're ⅜ to ⅝ inch long, with tan wings. Yellow jackets are aggressive and will attack you if they feel threatened.
Because of the dangers they can cause, it's crucial that you know how to get rid of wasps from your Edmond home quickly and effectively. The experts at Summit Pest Solutions are highly trained and can remove the nests with minimal risk.
The Problem With Wasps Hanging Around Your Yard
The biggest problem with wasps in your yard is that they may prevent you from being able to enjoy your outdoor spaces. For example, you wouldn't want to use your outdoor kitchen because the wasps would be attracted to the food. If you try to wave them away with your hand, they may feel threatened and attack your hand or arm.
The other big problem is the yellow jackets. They make their nests in cavernous openings like eaves or attics, or they build them in the ground. If you accidentally run your lawn mower over their nest, or if your children accidentally run across it, the yellow jackets may swarm and sting you or your children hundreds of times. This can cause a serious allergic reaction that requires immediate medical attention.
Pest control for wasps is critical in the spring, summer, and autumn months. Don't try to take down a nest on your own. Call the professionals at Summit Pest Solutions.
Five Naturally Effective Wasp Prevention Tips
Wasp prevention can be effective if you're consistent with it.
Here are five tips to help:
- Clean up any food you have outside your home. Wasps love protein, so you need to scrub your grill after every use to prevent them from making a home nearby.
- Put tight-fitting lids on your outside garbage barrels to keep wasps from finding food inside.
- Patch cracks and crevices in your foundation, walls, and decking. Wasps will use those as starting points for their nests. Do this in the fall since most nests are built in the spring.
- Plant wasp-repellant plants in your flower beds. Citronella, wormwood, thyme, spearmint, and eucalyptus are all effective. If you want more beauty in your wasp repellants, plant geraniums, marigolds, and pennyroyals.
- Fill in holes in your yard so ground-building wasps like yellow jackets can't nest there.
If all your prevention efforts fail, you need wasp control in Edmond. Our service technicians are ready for your call.
The Most Effective Wasp Control Solution For Your Yard
Wasp control in Edmond is just a click away. We have the know-how, the products, and the treatment methods you need to make your yard safe again. Let Summit Pest Solutions get rid of what's bugging you. Contact us today for a free quote and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Edmond.