The Trick To Keeping Your Edmond Home Free Of Fleas And Ticks
March 15, 2023 - Ticks
Fleas and ticks may be tiny, but the problems they can cause are anything but. These pests cause endless irritation, spread debilitating diseases, and, when left alone, can rapidly reproduce, taking over your property. This post will cover flea and tick prevention basics so you can keep yourself and your family safe. Keep reading to uncover more about these awful pests, and reach out to Summit Pest Solutions for top-notch Edmond pest control.
Identifying Fleas And Ticks
Plenty of people confuse fleas and ticks; to be honest, it's a pretty easy mistake. They do look quite similar and even share some behaviors. However, when comparing flea vs tick, there are easy ways to tell them apart, such as:
- The most immediate difference between fleas and ticks is the number of legs. Ticks have eight, while fleas have six.
- Fleas also can jump (they do not fly). Ticks, however, are confined to crawling.
- Ticks are larger than fleas, though both can be difficult to see without magnification.
- Fleas are prone to starting infestations, whereas ticks do so only rarely.
- A tick will feed on multiple hosts throughout its life. Generally, a flea will only have one.
Spotting the difference between fleas and ticks is essential due to their different impacts on your health (see below). Knowing how to respond is key to staying healthy, but don't worry if you struggle to make the distinction. Our Summit Pest Solutions technicians can help make the distinction after performing an inspection.
The Diseases Fleas And Ticks Are Known To Spread
Both fleas and ticks feed on blood and can transmit disease while doing so. However, the illnesses they inflict are pretty different.
Fleas can cause:
- Catch-scratch disease
Ticks can cause:
- Lyme disease
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Heartland virus
- Bourbon virus
Prompt flea and tick removal are vital to limit exposure to these ailments. But you can always rely on Summit Pest Solutions to complete the job safely and thoroughly. We refuse to cut corners because we know how much you depend on us to deliver quality service.
Simple Tips To Prevent Flea And Ticks
Because they're so tricky to notice, preventing ticks and fleas from entering your home requires you to be careful and have a close eye on detail. Still, it's worth the effort. Try following these tips:
- Keep your lawn cut short to remove outdoor nesting places.
- Before stepping inside your home, take a moment to give your clothes a quick dusting. Fleas and ticks can hide in the folds.
- Clean your floors every day. You should include vacuuming and steam cleaning in your regimen if you can. The former will remove eggs from the carpet, while the latter applies enough heat to kill adult fleas and ticks.
- Vacuum your furniture and pet bedding, too.
- If you have pets, brush them with a flea comb every day.
Protecting your home against fleas and ticks is an ongoing job, but we'll help you every step of the way. We make it a point to educate our customers on the best prevention techniques for their homes and situations, so they can reduce the chances of suffering another infestation.
The Best Flea And Tick Control For Your Property
The best way to get rid of ticks and fleas is to call on the services of local pest control professionals, and you'll find no better in Edmond than Summit Pest Solutions. We work with our clients to design a treatment plan that fits their unique situations, guaranteeing that we treat everyone with the attention and care they deserve.
Call us today and discover why our customers swear by our services.