Ticks Can Be Dangerous To Have On Your Edmond Property
March 15, 2022 - Ticks
There might be nothing worse than finding a tick crawling up your leg or creeping around in the sheets of your bed. Unfortunately, ticks in Oklahoma are a real concern for residents, and tick bites can potentially transmit harmful diseases to you and your pets if you are not careful, making pest control in Edmond essential. Read on to learn how to identify a tick bite, as well as how Summit Pest Solutions can help you today.
What Does A Tick Bite Look Like?
Because there are many biting insects here in Edmond, it is important to know what tick bites look like so you can seek appropriate medical treatment as soon as possible. Additionally, while Edmond has several different types of ticks, all their bites look the same. Below are some of the things you will see if a tick has bitten you:
- Red bump: At the site of the bite, there may be a red bump.
- Itchiness: Some people will experience an intense itchiness wherever the tick bit them, which could be anywhere on your body.
- Rash: A red rash is one of the most common symptoms of a tick bite.
- Bullseyes pattern: When people think of tick bites, they usually think of the trademark bullseye pattern that sometimes occurs and has a giant red dot in the center of a red ring.
What Diseases Can Ticks Transmit?
Tick protection is incredibly important because ticks are known to be vectors for harmful diseases that affect both humans and pets. Below are some of the most common tick-borne illnesses:
- Lyme disease: Perhaps the most well-known disease, Lyme can cause severe, chronic joint pain, along with neurological problems such as meningitis and Bell’s palsy, which can happen any amount of time after being bitten, including years later.
- Anaplasmosis: Symptoms of this disease include chills, shaking, a fever, and muscle aches. While this is a curable disease, it can be fatal if not treated. Symptoms of anaplasmosis can appear anywhere from 5 to 21 days after a tick bite.
- Babesiosis: People who contract this disease can sometimes be asymptomatic; however, those who do express symptoms may think they have the flu. These symptoms include fever, chills, sweating, headache, body aches, nausea, and loss of appetite. To treat this disease, one will need to seek medical attention, and antiparasitics used to treat malaria are needed to cure this disease.
- Ehrlichiosis: Another common tick-borne illness, symptoms include fever, chills, a severe headache, muscle aches, and sometimes confusion.
Not only is tick prevention vital for you and your family, but also for your pets.
How Long Do Ticks Live?
While it depends greatly on what kinds of ticks you are talking about, ticks generally can live up to two to three years. There is also a lot of conflicting information regarding how long ticks can live without access to a host to feed on. Some sources say they will only survive for 24 hours without a blood meal, and others say they can live up to two years without one. Regardless, it only reiterates the importance of professional pest control in Edmond.
Is There A Permanent Solution For Ticks On My Property?
It can be overwhelming to read about the many diseases that ticks can transmit and the dangers they pose to you and your pets. The good news is that Summit Pest Solutions is here to help. We have been serving the Edmond area for over 35 years, and our expert, talented technicians are armed with the skills and tools required to safely and effectively exterminate ticks on your property. We provide personalized treatment for every client, and our services are guaranteed to leave you pest-free. Don’t let ticks take away your peace of mind — call us today!